Geoff Sale, AScT
Geoff Sale, AScT
Manager, Internationally Educated Professionals Program
- Classification: Applied Science Technologist
- Discipline: Electronics Engineering
- Current Employer: ASTTBC
- Position: Past Chair, Canadian Technology Accreditation Board and Mgr, ASTTBC's IEP Prog.
- Post Secondary: CMR de St. Jean, PQ, (Elec. Eng), BCIT (Dipl, of Technology)
- High School: Burnaby Central High
While I (sort of) retired in 2000, my career was focused on Quality Assurance and high-tech manufacturing in the telecommunications industry. I worked at a factory in Burnaby BC, where I saw the technology evolve from 2-channel multiplex vacuum tube systems to OC-12 fibre optic systems over about 34 years at the same location. I was an instructor in BCIT's Quality Assurance management program for 20 years, and taught industrial statistics, reliability engineering and Quality Management. I am still active with ASTTBC, with membership on the Board of Examiners and the Accreditation Board, and I'm listed on the ASTTBC Staff Contacts page as Manager, Internationally Trained Professionals Program. I am now (as of Jan 2018) slowly withdrawing from this pursuit, but I continue to support the program.
Why I Became A Technology Professional
- Technology has been a centrepiece of my life for as long as I can remember. My childhood best buddy and I built several tube radio receivers from scratch, an astronomical telescope (with dome!), and even a seaworthy dinghy before our 14th birthdays! My family emigrated from the UK to Canada in 1957, and I completed High School in Burnaby, then entered the ROTP, having transferred from the RCAF Reserve to the RCN. If I had stayed in the RCN, I would have graduated from RMC (Kingston) with a 5-year degree in Electrical Engineering, but I stupidly bailed out after only three years. Life interrupted the continuation of any degree aspirations, so I attended BCIT night school for 12 years and got a Diploma of Technology in a non-existent discipline according to non-existent standards. I considered professional affiliation as essential for career success, and when I graduated from BCIT, SETBC registered me as a Senior Engineering Technician.
Professional & Community Activities
- - Long-time member of ASTTBC, Past President (1989 - 1991) - Past Chair of Boards of Examiners & Accreditation - Represented ASTTBC at CCTT and CTAB - SIS volunteer for Science World, providing astronomy talks to Grades 1 - 6. - Mgr, ITP Program for ASTTBC - Active on several Strata-related Boards and committees - Member, Board of Governors, Brighton College